Move by Yourself <data:blog.pageName/>

8/6/14

How to Survive Long Layovers

As we speak, I'm on a day long trip from Asuncion, Paraguay to Eleuthera, Bahamas. The trip will take about 15 hours and and 3 different flights and layovers in Panama City, Panama and Nassau, Bahamas. Layovers can be tough. With all the excitement of traveling, being stuck in an airport for seemingly endless hours can make you a little crazy. Over my many years of traveling and flying, I've learned a few tricks on making long layovers fly by.



Sleep. This is an obvious and common one. Find a nice corner or bench that you feel comfortable in and take a nap. I usually make sure to wrap the strap of my carry-on around my arm or foot while I sleep to keep my stuff safe You should also set an alarm so you don't miss your flight.

Distract yourself. Do this by bringing a good book or fun magazines. If you have a laptop, tablet or mobile device load movies or TV shows on them ahead of time, especially ones you have never seen.

Get up, move around. Traveling can take a toll on your body, sitting on long flights can be uncomfortable. Take a walk around the terminals. Find a nice empty corner and stretch out and do some yoga or some squats and lunges, you may feel a little embarrassed but, who cares, people do all kinds of weird stuff in airports.

Eat and drink your layover away. Airplane food is the worst but airport food is quite the opposite. There can be some surprisingly amazing and diverse restaurants available to you. Check the airports website ahead of time to see what they offer and which terminal its in.

People watch. One of my favorite things about airports is all the people. There are all kinds of people there and sitting down, relaxing and watching people as they pass by can be quite entertaining.

Leave the airport and go sightseeing. Depending on how  long your layover is take advantage of the surrounding city and get out and explore! Leave your bags in a locker at a left luggage counter, just make sure you have your boarding pass and passport.


What are your tips for surviving a long layover?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At August 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM , Anonymous Camila said...

Very interesting tips! To me all depends whether I have a night or day flight coming - if I have a 10 hour night flight then I won't try to sleep I'll try to busy myself so that once I get in the plane I'm tired and can try to fall asleep :) Distraction is always needed for sure! A book, my laptop, a notebook, etc :) and leaving the airport is a great one! If I have enough time I definitely get to that! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home