Move by Yourself <data:blog.pageName/>

5/16/12

Republica o Muerte!

That is the first line of the chorus in the National Anthem of Paraguay, in honor of today and yesterday ... the celebration of 201 years of Independence from its colonial rulers.

Let me give you a little background:

Paraguay was ruled by Spain, but in the early 1800's Spain had a lot of other stuff on its plate and pretty much neglected Paraguay. Over in Argentina the Viceroy of Spain had been overthrown and the "Administration" in Buenos Aires vowed to rule in the name of the Spanish king, and tried to assert their power over Paraguay. Lets just say this did not go over well in Paraguay which eventually led to a blood-less revolution on the 14th and 15th of May, 1811.

To celebrate Independence Day, I went with my family into Coronel Oviedo, the closet city to my site. There was going to be a parade with all the schools from around Oviedo and both of my host brothers were participating. 

My little brother's class were assigned to dress like "professionals" - he's the one with the puppy because he is a vet.

Paraguayan Flag

Parade

Traditional Women's Dress

Traditional Men's Dress (my host brother is the one looking at the camera)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home