Move by Yourself <data:blog.pageName/>

5/8/14

How to Avoid a Travel Visa Nightmare

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could just get along? And by everyone, I mean all the countries around the world. If they did, it would have saved me a lot of money, time and frustration.

Travel Visa

It took me two trips to Clorinda, Argentina, over $200 and countless hours out of my life to finally get my tourist visa to Paraguay. The first attempt was a couple days before my Peace Corps courtesy visa expired. One thing that really affected this whole process was the fact that I have two valid United States passports. Apparently, that is not normal. One of the passports is the one I've had for years and the other one is the passport you get from the government as a Peace Corps volunteer. Before I finished my service I called the consulate to make sure it was ok if I came to apply for a tourist visa a few days before my other visa expired, which I was informed was fine. Well, after about 6 hours and a trip to the get my picture taken, another trip to exchange money they informed me that in fact it was not ok and I couldn't get a new visa until my other visa expired. So on the second trip, I came with everything prepared and it still took all day. At one point while waiting the consul who had been helping me came out and told me that I might be able to get my visa that day because the systems were down. That would have meant staying the night in Clorinda because I wouldn't be allowed back in Paraguay without a visa. Now, at this point I was beyond frustrated and seriously wanted to cry, luckily about an hour later she came back with my brand new visa.

Travel visas are essential for entering numerous countries. But, even though I complain, as a United States citizen I have it easy, there are several countries that do not require a travel visa for me. However, others are not so lucky. Some visa processes are so time consuming that it seems they were made that way to dissuade people from applying. For a Paraguayan to apply for a tourist visa to the United States, they need fill out a 10-page application, pay the $160 fee (which is non-refundable if they do not get approved) and then travel to Asuncion for an interview at the Embassy. 

Here are some helpful hints if you want to avoid a visa nightmare like mine:

1. First and most important, do your research! When you are planning your trip check to see if the country you are traveling to requires a visa and if it does check if you are able to take care of that before you leave.  I definitely recommend getting your visa ahead of time, if possible. If not possible, research what the country will require of you when you do apply.

2. The following are some of the requirements I have run into when applying for a travel visa. Most countries will require a 2 inch x 2 inch photo. Also, make sure you know ahead of time what currency they require you to pay in. (In Argentina, when getting my Paraguayan visa, I had to pay in American Dollars). Also, some countries will request a credit/bank card (Paraguay did) to assure that you have enough funds to travel with. Finally some countries require proof of exit travel. This means a plane ticket or bus ticket or something along those lines. There are a few ways to get around this but, it can be risky. You could buy a refundable plan ticket. Or when you go to buy a bus ticket or plan ticket print out the confirmation ticket (without buying) and use that. (I personally have not done this, but, I know people who have).

3. Time! This process will always take longer then you hope or expect. So, give yourself plenty of time to get it done. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home