Move by Yourself <data:blog.pageName/>

8/19/14

Coming to America.

After a fabulous vacation in the Bahamas I finally made it back to the United States after being away for over 30 months. As you may remember I had so many mixed emotions about coming home, excitement, anxiety, sadness about leaving Paraguay and so many more. Now that I'm back all those feelings are still here, I'm excited I have gotten to see my friends and family, but, I'm anxious about the future and still sad about being away my boyfriend and Paraguay.

All I can say is that America is over whelming. There are so many people everywhere and being in large crowds of people sometimes make me a little anxious, which is a feeling I have never experienced before. I'm getting used to things that I never had before Paraguay, like using my iPhone and all the fancy apps that come a long with it. I used Uber for the first time this weekend!

I also went to the grocery store for the first time today and boy was that an overwhelming experience. Just the sheer amount of options for every thing was insane, the number wheat thin flavors, kinds of cheese and types of chex mix blew me away. It took me at least 20 minutes to decide what kind of cereal I wanted to buy. It was also strange seeing the high prices for things that I used to get for free, like avocados, mangoes, oranges and so many more fruits and veggies.



I'm slowly falling back into some old habits that I had before. I was a little nervous to start driving again as I had only driven a car 2 times in the past two and half years but, once I started it was just like riding a bike, or I guess driving a car. It is nice to have my car and being able to go anywhere and do anything at the drop of a hat. In Paraguay if I needed to go somewhere I usually had to plan ahead (and walk long distances in the sweltering sun) to get anywhere.

Now, that I'm finally getting settled in, I'm going to start blogging on a regular basis again, and don't worry I'll let you know all about my trip to the Bahamas and my first weekend back in the US.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At August 19, 2014 at 7:49 AM , Anonymous socalledhomemaker said...

I wish our veggies and fruits were free here!

 
At August 19, 2014 at 11:38 AM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

Where I lived in Paraguay, my house had 3 avocado trees! Fresh guacamole all the time!

 
At August 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM , Anonymous Camila said...

Oh reverse culture shock is sometimes worst than culture shock itself! To be coming home (and I wasn't in such a different country as my home country) I had trouble with public transportation and also with crowds! I was living in a small town and coming back to a bit city was so weird, so noisy and crowded! Look forward to hearing more about your trip!x

 
At August 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

Crowds get me too! I'm riding the DC Metro for the first time today! It should be interesting.

 
At August 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM , Anonymous WorldWideVegetarian said...

Ah good old America, I remember when I came back, and the grocery store was one of the weirdest experiences for me too! I was however glad to notice such diversity, something lacking in most of Western Europe. Don't get stuck here, I've been stuck in DC for two years, but I am leaving in a few months and I couldn't be happier. Hope your stay is short and sweet.
Katie

 
At August 23, 2014 at 11:03 PM , Anonymous Diana Siuta said...

sounds like reverse culture shock! love your blog btw. I'm so glad i found you on treasure tromp

 
At August 25, 2014 at 1:12 AM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

Grocery stores have definitely been the roughest transition, so overwhelming!

 
At August 25, 2014 at 1:13 AM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

Definitely reverse culture shock! I'm glad you are following along! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home