Move by Yourself <data:blog.pageName/>

5/15/14

#FIRSTSTOTALSOCIAL - My First Trip Abroad

Today I am participating in my first link-up as a blogger. Yay! And it just so happens that the theme of this months #totalsocial hosted by Helene and Sarah link-up is firsts. What a coincidence! So I am going to tell you all about the first time I traveled abroad.

When I was 14 years old I was lucky to have an opportunity to travel to the  beautiful country of Australia, with People to People Student Ambassadors. People to People is a travel service that offers international travel opportunities to students in middle school and high school. The student ambassador program specifically offers trips that are educational and aimed at increasing global awareness.

Sydney Opera House and Bridge

I traveled in a group of middle school students from Maryland and California. We spent three weeks traveling the east coast of Australia from Cairns all the way down to Sydney. I had been fascinated with Australia most of my youth and the fact that I had the opportunity to travel there at such a young age was incredible (and mostly due to my parents. Thanks Mom and Dad).  I swam in the Great Barrier Reef, visited the Whitsunday Islands, see and hold koalas at an animal reserve, stayed a few nights on a cattle ranch in the Outback, had a home stay visit in Brisbane and toured the Opera House in Sydney.






*sorry for these sunglasses, they are truly awful. What was I thinking.


This trip is truly what gave me the travel bug. Ever since then I couldn't sit still, taking every opportunity possible to get out and see new places, mission trips, study abroad, Peace Corps, you name it. There are so many places to see in the world and so little time, so you have to take advantage of it.

Where was your first trip abroad?


Helene in Between

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At May 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Helene in Between said...

what an awesome trip!! I would love to go to australia!! that is on my bucketlist for sure!

 
At May 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Kay R. said...

Beautiful! My sister lives in Australia and Im going this year! I cant wait!

 
At May 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM , Blogger Venus Trapped In Mars said...

Three weeks?! Lucky duck, that is totally amazing. I wish I had the opportunity to do something like this!

 
At May 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Joyce said...

Sigh. Traveling vicariously through you. wink wink.

 
At May 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Karen M. Peterson said...

What an amazing trip! I really want to go to Australia!

 
At May 15, 2014 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is awesome. You will love it.

 
At May 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You should. I want to go back now that I'm older and see if it is the same as I remember!

 
At May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I know, I am definitely lucky to have been able to go on a trip like this at such a young age!

 
At May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You should it is beautiful!

 
At May 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

No! You can do it too :)

 
At May 16, 2014 at 1:30 PM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

No! You can do it too!

 
At May 16, 2014 at 1:31 PM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

I know, I am definitely lucky to have been able to go on a trip like this at such a young age!

 
At May 16, 2014 at 1:31 PM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

That is awesome. You will love it.

 
At May 16, 2014 at 1:31 PM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

You should. I want to go back now that I'm older and see if it is the same as I remember!

 
At May 16, 2014 at 1:32 PM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

You should it is beautiful!

 
At May 16, 2014 at 5:27 PM , Anonymous Kels Sheron said...

What jealous! I almost did People to People back in the day but didn't wanna miss any sports seasons/camps, etc so didn't follow through with it. Awesome experience for you though I'm totally jealous! :)

 
At May 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM , Anonymous Jenn said...

I traveled with people to people as well! I was invited to Australia in 2005 but it clashed with my Uncles wedding in Colorado, so I opted to go to Europe in 2006 :) It's great to see another P2P alum :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home