Move by Yourself <data:blog.pageName/>

6/13/14

Jack the Ripper Walking Tour : London, England

When you hear the name Jack the Ripper what comes to mind? Victorian London, dark, foggy, rainy nights and a serial killer, that was never identified, that still captivates the mind of numerous people over 150 years later?

Jack the Ripper Tour

When I visited London in college, I had to chance to go on a Jack the Ripper walking tour one night. The tour I took boasts to be the original Jack the Ripper tour. It was a gloomy and rainy night that set the perfect scene to travel back in time and visit the most infamous sights of the 12-week reign of terror that Jack the Ripper held over East London. 

The Whitechapel area of East London where most of the murders took place was a seriously impoverished district in the late 1800's and all of the Ripper's victims were prostitutes who lived and worked in the slums. The media treatment of the Ripper case is largely seen as one of the reasons it is so infamous. Considerable newspaper coverage at the time provided widespread and continuing international fame for the Ripper. Another reason this case likely remains so popular is the fact that no one was ever identified as the culprit. The unknown possibilities still captivate peoples minds with new suspects coming to light even today. 

The Jack the Ripper tour starts right in the heart of  it all and follows a chronological route that introduces you to several historical Jack the Ripper sites and offers you a genuine feel of the atmosphere of London in 1888. 

The tour is only 9£ which is roughly $15. The whole tour will take you about 2 hours in total where you will be accompanied by your guide who, in my experience, will be incredibly knowledgeable on the subject and can answer any questions you may have. 

So, if you are interested in Jack the Ripper history, Victorian era London history, or are in the mood for something eerie and spooky then I highly recommend this tour.


Have you taken any interesting or unique tours over the years? Tell me about them.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM , Anonymous Crystal Turpin said...

Yea, um, I would eat this up with a spoon! I loved unsolved mysteries and creepy tours, so I would be first in line for this tour! I only made it out to London a handful of times, but sadly I never got to do this, but I'll add it to my bucket list if I ever make it back across the pond.

 
At June 14, 2014 at 3:43 PM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

I know, I love anything that has to do with history and mysteries! Hope you make it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home