Move by Yourself <data:blog.pageName/>

8/26/14

There is More to the Bahamas than Paradise Island


When I was in the airport in Nassau, Bahamas waiting to check my luggage for my flight to the United States there was a typically American family standing in front of me and overheard their conversation.

Daughter: "So every flight out of this airport has to be an international flight doesn't it?"

Father: "I guess you are right, since this is such a small island and country"

This conversation is the epitome of what bothers me about tourists, when they go on a vacation to another country and make no effort to learn anything about the destination they have chosen. The Bahamas actually consists of over 700 islands, over 20 of which are inhabited, which means there are hundreds of flights leaving Nassau for other parts of the country every day.

That is my biggest recommendation to those wanting to travel to the Bahamas. Look  further than Nassau and Paradise Island, look further than the exclusive beach resorts and hotels. There is nothing wrong with a relaxing beach vacation because the Bahamas has some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to and they are the reason so many people come to visit this wonderful country.  I'm just saying take a break from the sun and the sand and get out there and meet the residents of the islands you visit because they are incredibly friendly and welcoming, eat at the amazing restaurants outside your hotel and visit the historical sites. Try to learn more about the country and culture when you are visiting some place new.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM , Anonymous Jenn said...

Totally agree with this! and honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Nassau.

 
At August 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

Me neither! I felt like I had such a more authentic experience on one of the "family islands"

 
At August 27, 2014 at 1:53 PM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

Thanks! I wish more tourists understood this!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home