Move by Yourself <data:blog.pageName/>

10/30/14

A Day of History - Washington D.C.

I am embarrassed to admit in all of the 20+ years that I've lived in DMV (District Maryland Virginia), and in all the time I've spent in D.C, I have never been to the top of the Washington Monument.

And, get this, its free!

Yea, how awesome is that! Actually, there are insane amounts of cool things to do and see in D.C that are completely free.

So after the earthquake damage was repaired and the Monument, which I used to refer to as "the pencil" when I was younger, reopened back in May, I knew that, once I came home from Paraguay, I had to finally make the trek to the top.

Fun fact of the day - the Washington Monument is the tallest building in D.C. due to the Height of Buildings Act of 1910 which made it impossible for other buildings to be taller.














Our next stop was the Lincoln Memorial, one of my favorite memorials in D.C. You get a great view of the Washington Monument but, Lincoln himself is pretty awesome. Every time I go there he is much bigger and grander than I remember.








Our final stop of the day was the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. I have been there several times, but its always fun to go to a place you have been before and see it through someone else's eyes, and Jose was like a kid in a candy shop, amazed by everything he saw.





It was a long, long day, and by the end of it, I was dead and so were my feet.

Have you eve been to Washington D.C.? Is there a place close to where you live and have always wanted to visit, but never got the chance?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM , Anonymous Jenn said...

I have been to DC probably on average 2-4 times per year and have still never been to the top of the Washington Monument! I <3 DC though :)

 
At November 6, 2014 at 2:44 AM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

I know, I love DC too! I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was free to go to the top, so I definitely recommend it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home