Move by Yourself <data:blog.pageName/>

8/27/14

Off the Beaten Path - Eleuthera, Bahamas

When visiting the Bahamas most travelers head to the bigger more touristy islands like Nassua and Grand Bahama. The "out islands" or the "family islands" have less crowds, there are no cruise ships and no high-rise hotels and they give you a more unique, slow paced vacation experience. 

On my trip to the Bahamas, I visited the "family island," Eleuthera. It is a quick 20 minute flight or 2.5 hours ferry ride from Nassau. It is a long, thin island that is 110 miles long and at its thinnest point, its less than a mile wide. I decided to visit Eleuthera because my sister was doing an internship at Bahamas Methodist Habitat, which is based off the island and a stop over there was only a little bit more expensive than a flight straight home from Paraguay, so I thought, why not?

It was a whirlwind trip, many days spent at the beach and many days trying out some fun new activities. I went snorkeling and saw numerous tropical fishies. I went kayaking for the first time and hunting for starfish. I ate conch fritters, a traditional Bahamian food made from the conch shellfish. I attempted surfing, which might deserve its own blog post to describe the hilarity. We also rented golf carts to explore a tiny neighboring island.
























All and all this week in paradise was a great way to relax and prepare myself for the overwhelming re-entry back into the United States.

Bahamas Travel Tips:
- The Bahamian currency is the Bahamian Dollar it is equal in value to the American Dollar so everywhere in the Bahamas also excepts the USD.

- Drivers in the Bahamas follow the British Rule, which means everyone drives on the left side of the road.

Have you ever visited the Bahamas? Did you venture out to any of the "family islands"?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At August 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM , Anonymous Lauren K. said...

I've never been, but it's on my list. And after viewing those gorgeous pictures I think it moved up a spot or two! :)

 
At August 29, 2014 at 12:57 PM , Anonymous Kelley @ Move By Yourself said...

Yay! It is an incredibly beautiful island, you'd love it

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home